Roller Marks on Stairs Wall After Redecorating
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

GP24
Labourer
Labourer

Roller Marks on Stairs Wall After Redecorating

by GP24 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help please.

I have redecorated a landing and wall down the stairs in my house. I have used Dulux Once Matt Paint for walls (a light cream colour). The top landing walls were fine but the stairs wall shows roller marks because there are spotlights set in the ceiling on the landing and they cast light at a glancing angle down the stairs wall. The roller marks are therefore quite visible when climbing the stairs as the light reflects towards you as you climb.

The first time I did it I used a small roller (about 5 inch wide). It took a while and I did it in a random pattern. There were a few noticeable marks so I decided to redo it with a larger roller and more vertically. This has made things worse. There are now more marks and you can also see where the roller has not released paint evenly over the wall. Rollers were brand new but general DIY grade from B&Q (Diall smooth I think).

I need to tackle this one wall again but I'm a bit unsure if I'm ever going to get a smooth finish.

Can anyone advise please? There will always be lighting on the landing so there will always be this light cast downwards. Is there a better brand of roller? Better technique? Pads instead of roller? Anything else?

Look forward to replies.

Many Thanks,

GP24

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am