Roof Damage to potential property purchase?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newbie 1
Labourer
Labourer

Roof Damage to potential property purchase?

by Newbie 1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:25 am

Hi, my daughter is looking to buy her first home, she's seen a property she likes,but a family member has advised her against it because of issues with the roof. He's made this judgement based on a picture she sent him of the property. The mortgage for this house will take her to the maximum of her budget, so a damaged roof will not be something she's able to take on for a good while. I'm adding a picture if anyone could advise or explain where he's getting this idea from, or indeed why shows it to be needing a lot of repair. Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot_20210117-101714~3.png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Roof Damage to potential property purchase?

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi newbie1
Can’t see any reason for the claim that there are issues with the roof. Clearly birds like to s.it on or when they are on the television aerial hence the stain down the roof.
Regards S

sonny side
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Roof Damage to potential property purchase?

by sonny side » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 am

I would suggest running through some inspection to look for any signs of the roof leak and negotiate to lower down the price.

From the picture, I can see that there is some moss growth in the area under the chimney. Try to check the attic if there are any signs of mould growth or water spots at the ceiling.

Mould growth is definitely a time bomb as it can slowly makes its way into the shingles underneath, weakening the roof tiles. As time goes, the gap increases and the rain water may be able to seep in with ease.

Mould growth by the attic is definitely a sign of water leaking. Brown spots on the ceiling too is a strong sign that the roof is leaking.

If that's the case, negotiate to lower the price or find out the cost for roof repair. Some roof contractors offer free inspections. So, you get a heads up on the cost and see if it's worth your budget.

Good luck!

Reference:
https://www.roofrepairmalaysia.com/blog/signs-of-roof-leaking/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 am