Roof leak near flashing and correct procedure for fix
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lvanrhyn
Labourer
Labourer

Roof leak near flashing and correct procedure for fix

by lvanrhyn » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:51 am

Morning all

I'd like your advice on the correct repair procedure. The roof is leaking near the flashing (ridge detail, see 1st image). The flashing itself appears to be undamaged. The only visible damage (without lifting the flashing) is the mortar around the ridge appears to be cracked.

The leak is toward the right in this image:
full on.jpg

A closer view of damaged mortar:
L1.jpg

L2.jpg

The other side of flashing. I'm aware of the chipped tile! The flashing sits well below this chip so I'm hoping that's not relevant at this point:
chip.jpg

Would a compound like this be suitable to patch up the cracked mortar, or could someone recommend a better or more suitable product?

https://www.bostik.com/ireland/en/catal ... l-instant/

Would I need to lift the flashing to repair the mortar below? It would mean chipping out a tile that is being down the flashing from above.

Or something else entirely! Any good advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Loubser

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Roof leak near flashing and correct procedure for fix

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Hi ivanrhyn
Sticking gung into gaps in a tiled roof is seldom successful. You really need to lift the tile on top of the flashing to see what is going on. The underslaters felt should provide an inherently waterproof roof so you may have to remove more tiles to correct the problem.
Regards S

lvanrhyn
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Roof leak near flashing and correct procedure for fix

by lvanrhyn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 am

Sound advice stoneyboy. Sounds like a better weather job then ;)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:07 am