DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Roof questions...

Postby shaunnuahs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:48 am

What is the concerte that is on the outside edges below the roof tiles called or what is its term?

When fitting new facia's should this concrete that is about 4 inces in depth going under the tile be removed and replaced with new stuff(its 35 years old) ??

Do you use 3-1 mortar or put sealant stuff in it?

If you replace it is it best to protect by putting those plastic covers you can get over it having replaced it?

Thanks Shaun.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:36 am

Postby youasked » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 am

The pointing at the roof edge is a part of the 'Dry verge' which is the aspestos strip under the edge that lies on top of the bricks to stop wet getting into the brickwork. This only needs pointing if loose and falling out. Removing it will only disturbe the edge tiles and youi will probably find the *battern ends rotten. (*Houses over 30yrs)

If plastic 'dry verge' caps put on correctly, the first two tiles are removed up the whole side, new battern ends added, membrane and then the caps. Most companies however only glue, nail or screw the caps to the existing concrete and a quick cosmetic fix. Prices range from £5 to £15 per cap if a company does them. Aveage 5mtr roof side = 15-16 caps. Not really a DIY job as the ridge can be 9-12 mtrs above ground and most domestic laddders will not reach. I have seen roof battern (2x1 treated), attached along the whole length of the verge, and caps simply screwed to that, though they did not overlap the tiles fully, they were very secure.

Good Luck
Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Postby fastforward » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:24 am

Hi every one.
I want know from any person that what should do or what type of roofing material I should use which give me all season help. Like, it will give heat in winters and cool rooms in summers. Also it protect my house from rain water and resist the force of water for many years.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 am

Postby TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page:
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777214
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics