Roof trusses out of line
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martyng
Labourer
Labourer

Roof trusses out of line

by martyng » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Advice would be gratefully received on our problem! In the course of selling our house, our buyers surveyor has highlighted the fact that the roof trusses in our 1970s detached, pitched roof house are out of line i.e. the ones in the middle are not truly perpendicluar and are leaning a bit. A structural engineer has sucked his teeth over this (we await his report) but concedes there appears to be no structural problem i.e. the outside walls are not bowing, the roof is not sagging, internally the felt has not torn etc. In my opinion this is a building fault i.e. they were constructed skew - we have gone through 30 plus years of weather including the 1987 storm (we are near the south coast), and nothing has shifted.

The structural engineer is muttering about bringing it up to modern standards. What are the current regs? Does this have to be rectified i.e. by horizontal and diagonal bracing (of which there is none)? He is talking initially about bracing to pull the trusses back into line. Surely that is too extreme and might exacerbate the problem? Any advice would be gratefully received before we have to reduce the price even more!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 am

Row of terraced houses near me have a serious sag in the roofline.

Its been there for at least 25 years with no change and no danger of it falling down yet.

The structural engineer is inventing himself a nice little earner IMHO.

If the surveyor has just made an observation without suggesting structural issues then I'd say DO NOT reduce the price. Tell them to take it or leave it and you'll put it back on the market.

Cheers

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm