DIY Doctor

roofing underfelt

Postby stevec03 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:33 am

I have been quoted for a re-roof (tile) and the builder tells me that he has to use a thin membrane under the tiles due to building regs. I thought that the correct material was the traditional thick black coloured felt?
Can anyone advise please.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 am


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Assuming you have a loft in the roofspace (not a habitable room) the underfelt can either be a breathable membrane without cross ventilation of the loft space (but ventilation is required above the membrane) or standard slaters felt with cross ventilation of the loft space.
For a total re-roof your local BI will expect to be involved - check with them if they have any special requirements.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4052
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics