Rotten Bathroom Joist
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
southenddave
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rotten Bathroom Joist

by southenddave » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Please can you advise if the following sounds like a reasonable fix.
I have a joist in the bathroom that has some wet rot undeer where the end of the bath was. The rotten part is about 18" long and affects about half of the depth of the joist. My plan is to cut out the rotten part and graft in some new timber. The I plan to run a new section of joist alond the repairedpart and 5 feet either side of the repair and bolt it to the existing joist. Will this be a sufficient fix?

Many thanks,
Dave

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Sounds reasonable, if slightly over the top. IF you are bolting a new joist to the original, i wouldn't bother with the repair. Cut the rotten joist end off say 500mm from the end and bolt you new joist with at least 6 - 8 M10 / 12 bolts (stagered) with toothed washers between the joists and flat metal washers to the outer face.

Hope this helps

LCL

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 pm

See our project on repairing structural timber

southenddave
Apprentice
Apprentice

by southenddave » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I obviously didn't make it clear that the rotten part was in the middle. Repair is now complete with the new joist sistered to the old one with three M10 high tensile bolts at either end and a couple towards the middle for good measure. I will let you know if I end up in the kitchen at any stage.
Ta,
Dave

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 pm