rotten joists
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Darboo
Labourer
Labourer

rotten joists

Post by Darboo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi wonder if you could help me. The joist in my bathroom were rotten the rot is about 28"+, my housing association got workmen to repiar the joists witch are about 3 meters long in full and are directly under the bath. They cut the rot out and replaced it with new inserts with a piece bolted along side with two bolts on one side to the replaced bit and one bolt on the old joist. The ends don`t meet and seem dangerous one even tilts to one side.[/url]

CHIPPY2158
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 pm

with out looking at the job its hard to say but the joists should of been completley cut out and replaced with new ones!
the ends should really go into the wall each end and be bricked in so they dont tilt at all! at the very least a row of noggings/ bridging putt in to stop the joists moving.

also what you need to establish it why the joists are rotten in the first place! if you have wett rot the timbers that they have put in will do no more than pass on the spores!!!! in this case they should be treated as soon as possible

Darboo
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Darboo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:30 pm

:D Chippy thanks for your input got the housing manager in volved he agreed with me ,he got the joiner back to redo the job with bigger battens and resin dowles much stonger .

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:14 pm