Rough Cost of This Garage Conversion to an Annex?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

kazzamunga
Labourer
Labourer

Rough Cost of This Garage Conversion to an Annex?

by kazzamunga » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Webp.net-compress-image(3).jpg
img_20190911_wa0011.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image(2).jpg
Hi Guys, first post here, and I'm hoping someone will have an idea of rough costs for a garage conversion if I show some pics and give an outline of what we want.

We've just had an offer accepted on a house, and are very interested in converting the rear detached garage (22' x 9'3) that is currently being used for storage, into a habitable annex with a shower room and kitchenette - a kind of 'tiny house' that you see on some of those grand design programmes.

Here's the house, with a couple of pics where you can see the garage - I've attached some pics that we took, too.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 59859.html

What we think needs doing:

Re-roofing. It's a pitched roof, and we'd like to keep it this way, but it's felt - and we'd need to replace with tiling or slate. Would leave the roof exposed.

Water supply. You can just about see from the rightmove pics that there is a built up patio area in front of the garage (you come out of the kitchen and go up a couple of steps to get onto it), so i'm not sure how easy this would be to break into.

Soil pipe. Again, patio might be a problem.

Insulation, ventilation etc - building regs stuff. It has some electrics already, light switch etc, but not sure of the extent of it

Double glazed windows, as the windows it has aren't fit for purpose, and a new front door where the up and over door is, possible window next to this, possible new bathroom window (envisage a front door to the right hand side of the front facade, with shower and toilet to the left as you walk into the space)

Toilet, sink, 900x1200 shower tray

Kitchenette (envisage this back to back with the shower room against the left hand wall, with just the basics, possibly sink and hob
If we insulate well, was thinking to get a little stove (the sort you'd find on a narrowboat) to heat the space.

We would want wooden flooring, but dependent on cost we might want to get the shell of the building sorted first and then figure out the internals

Yeah, that's about it - quite a lot of work, but quite a small space. The only thing the garage has is electrics. We will have money left over from the deposit, so just need a clear idea of whether this is 20,000 or 40,000 worth of work - anyone able to make any guesstimates? I'd be very grateful!

Thanks, K
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image(1).jpg

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:25 am