Router Tools
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skittles
Labourer
Labourer

Router Tools

Post by skittles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:25 pm

I have a router, but never used it!

I need to put some hinges on some new doors and need handles. Googling I note there ae templates and router tools for such jobs

Anyone used them or recommend anything

Its a DIY job so nothing for like £100 please

sweetorb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by sweetorb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:55 pm

hi skittles

u could go 2 screwfix or wherever and buy a hammer and a 1" chisel for under £20..??!!

just an idea..

mark

skittles
Labourer
Labourer

Post by skittles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:09 pm

[quote="sweetorb"]hi skittles

u could go 2 screwfix or wherever and buy a hammer and a 1" chisel for under £20..??!!

just an idea..

mark[/quote]

ta for the idea, its a good one but I am not that good with chisels and wondered if the router route would be easier

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by jackthebuilder » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Skittles

Good for you for wanting to have a go. Even if you get a template, which I understand can be very expensive, you'll need to practise first.

Don't expect to switch on and get a perfect job first time, and make sure that anything you are routering - practise or not - is well secured or clamped to stop it jumping around - that's half the battle in my experience.

And make sure your depth stop adjustment is correctly secured!

If you practice routering various shapes and depths, you'll quickly get an idea of whether you really have the knack for this sort of work or not. If you're really not comfortable with it, then the chisel isn't a bad idea - keep it sharp, take it easy, and remove little bits at a time.

When routering, remember that, if yours is a 1/4" router, the shank of the bits may flex slightly under pressure, causing it to 'jump' a little and leave uneven edges if you try and remove too much timber in one pass. A 1/2" router, which is usually a lot more expensive both for the machine and the bits, has 4 times the cross-sectional area of the shanks.

Let us know how you get on.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm

[quote] Its a DIY job so nothing for like £100 please [/quote]

routers are expensive and so are all the accessories and for good reason. they are precision instruments and trying to do it on the cheap is pointless frankly. you get what you pay for.

you can get a relatively cheap hinge jig from trend:

Google "mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPosition=4&P_ID=14158&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=5059"

i've used one of these, the result is fine but a bit of a faff to set up compared to the more expensive hinge/doorframe jigs. so although they only cost £30-40 the hassle element may not make it worth your while investing in one - not at least unless you have a spare door to practise on first.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:59 am