Running a cable through one box to another
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chyaweth
Labourer
Labourer

Running a cable through one box to another

by Chyaweth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 am

Hi,
thought I'd better ask this before I start decorating :-)

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx12 ... 75ff80.jpg
(Hopefully you can see this)

I've got a twin socket above a fused switch for a wall heater. (The twin socket is on the upstairs ring and the wall heater on a dedicated ring for others in the upstairs rooms)
I've brought both cables up from behind the skirting board into the lower switch's box then continued the cable for the twin sockets through to its box above. Is this acceptable?

Also I'm actually bringing the cables in from the side and, for an inch or less, needing to bed them in filler.
Is this a problem?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Running a cable through one box to another

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 am

So just for clarification, the cables (are there two) for the socket circuit runs through the box of the FCU, to double gang socket? These has not been electrically connected to the FCU just routed through the box?
If so that is fine!
I have notice though the cable entering the FCU, is through an entry hole that could be offering in-excess of 12.5mm access. This would go down as a non-compliance as you may be able to touch live electric parts.
I would seal that hole up.
If this is a newly fitted socket, current regulations require it to have 30mA RCD protection.
With ring final circuits, you need to be careful when extending them, as you will have to determine whether ring is a full loop or whether you have a spur from a spur, as this not allowed unless a 13A FCU unit is placed at the break in point of the ring and before the first socket fitted after.

Chyaweth
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Running a cable through one box to another

by Chyaweth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the cable to the double socket is just routed through the FCU, no connections.
Understand about the hole in the side. It looked tatty anyway so I've got a new box for it which I will carefully craft a hole in the side.
Neither the FCU or double socket are new supplies, simply repositioned.

So it appears I'll be okay.

Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:31 am