All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

running bath waste

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:15 pm

hi,

about to install a new bathroom suite and a new toilet (toilet in an adjacent room). as i am changing the toilet i want to change the soil stack which is cast iron and quite corroded.

the new bathroom is a complete revamp and i want to run the waste for the new bath and shower under the floor to minimise boxwork (which i think always looks nice for about 5 minutes but starts to look tatty very quickly).

the problem is the run of the joists - the best way would be for me to run the waste out through the wall, the externally along and into the soil stack. but a friend tells me that you cannot run the bath/shower/basin waste into the soil pipe - has to be different drains?

could somebody please clarify? surely it all ends up in the same drain eventually anyway? we do not have a cesspit or soakaway.

thanks,

chris

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:57 pm

You can run bath, shower and wash basin wastes into the soil stack. You can't run soil waste into a rainwater gully etc - think they must have gettin mixed up.

It's worth looking into the best way to do this though - you don't want the waste pipes opposite/level with the toilet waste - as if it backs up it could come up into the bath, shower etc. Tee in above where the toilet waste is then any back-up will be visible at the toilet bowl first.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm

thanks htg engineer, thought this was the case. i was going to run the waste from the bathroom to a point just below the toilet waste. i can see why this is not such a good idea!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:47 am