Running Kitchen Tap, Tap Replacement & Earthing
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
luca
Labourer
Labourer

Running Kitchen Tap, Tap Replacement & Earthing

Post by luca » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:22 am

I have a kitchen tap (at least 15yrs old maybe even older) which always used to drip but suddenly has started to flow constantly at a low pace in the attached picture. It would seem the tap has not been closed property allowing this, but in fact both cold & hot water taps have been shut fully. Does anyone know why this is the case? The tap has always leaked from the centre unit as well.

From the pictures attached would seem there are 2 bronze coloured rods leading into the tap unit underneath the kitchen sink. Those rods are attached to 2 grey flexi hoses connected to a ball valve for cold & hot water supplies. There is earthing attached to the 2 bronze coloured rods with are the green & yellow wiring seen in the picture.

How easy is for a DIY guy to change the tap unit over? Any advice please? If one needs a plumber what’s the likely cost? Which kitchen taps are the best ones to buy with my kitchen sink unit already in situ? Does the whole kitchen sink need to come out or can a plumber just insert a new tap under the kitchen sink per the pictures attached? Can a plumber re-attach the earthing or does an electrician need to do so?

I changed the tap in my bathroom sink which was easy but there was no earthing nor 2 bronze coloured rods. Just flexi hoses to be attached to the sink piping. I refer to pictures above but I was not able to upload them.

Let me know & thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Running Kitchen Tap, Tap Replacement & Earthing

Post by stoneyboy » Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi luca
Without a picture it is difficult to give anything but a general reply.
The tap probably has solid pipes going directly into the body of the tap. Replacement is straightforward but generally very awkward. You can remove and refit the earth connections. If you are on a tank fed system for your hot water check that your new tap will work with low pressures.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:28 pm