Running new gas supply to fire
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xcizzix
Labourer
Labourer

Running new gas supply to fire

by xcizzix » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi there. I have recently bought a Genesis Spectra Inset gas fire for which I am in the processing of arranging installation. The chimney is due to be swept and a cowl fitted but I have the following questions:

1. The chimney breast recess needs widening and as it is a inset gas fire, it needs to be installed at least 12ins from the floor. What materials should be used to set the fire on? I'm concerned about ventilation without gas escaping.

2. There was a gas supply but this doesn't seem to be connected. My RGI talked about running a supply from the hob in the kitchen as this is a staright and short route (he didn't see he would tee off from it but I get the impression that is what he was implying). Is this safe to do and does it meet regulations?

I'm a little worried that the pressure might not be sufficient if he installs in this way....and then I face further bills to run another supply. I expect the works to be certificated but I just want to know the pitfalls and clue myself up.....at this rate I'll sell the fire on and get an electric/flueless fire!!

Would welcome anyone's advice in this matter and can provide more info if needed. I've trawled the internet for days trying to find an answer to this but am getting nowhere fast! Thanks very much.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Chimney breast needing widening ? do you mean depth of the chimney/catchment space ? if you do then it's major work, you cannot just widen it as if there's a shelf above the fire spigot it will fail spillage tests. It will have to be widened all the way up, tapering in gently to allow a natural flow of air/fumes. The catchment space/fire opening will have to built up using bricks and mortar, it's also a good idea to render inside to guarantee a good seal.

' I'm concerned about ventilation without gas escaping. ' don't know where you're coming from - There should NOT be, under any circumstances - a vent fitted to a chimney with gas fire.

As for teeing into the supply feeding a gas fire, unless he knows the pipe runs, the pipe size and the gas rate of each appliance he cannot just tee into a pipe supplying an existing appliance.

'at this rate I'll sell the fire on and get an electric' To be honest - I would.

htg

xcizzix
Labourer
Labourer

by xcizzix » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for your response htg engineer. Can you possibly clarify the following:

The depth of the chimney is fine its slightly increasing the width (the measure of the opening from left to right) by approx 15cm. Does widening the hole it in this way still pose the same probs as you mention below? I have looked up the chimney and can see what looks like a breezeblock just above the opening...this doesn't close off the chimney as there is soot on the fire basket but this fire is not connected and has never been used.

Apologies for not making myself clear re ventilation. Basically I wondered what the fire should be set upon as it's 12ins from the floor and I was concerned that if airbricks were used, would this mean gas could escape back into the room? I'd seen posts using airbricks and wondered if it would be these that woudl be used or good old fashioned bricks and mortar?

I'm grateful for the advice re the teeing into another appliance. If I do decide to go ahead and have a gas fire installed, I'll certainly make sure the supply is not connected in this way.

I know I don't have a clue about this and the way I've posed the question only serves to confuse matters more - that is why this forum and receiving replies is great. I want to know what's what as having that greater understanding of what's needed makes all the difference when dealing with any tradesman.
I'm trying to obtain quotes but they seem to differ vastly and obviously as its gas, my health and saftey come first so your replies are greatly appreciated.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Widening does not pose as many problems, apart from there will be a lintel - this needs to be checked/replaced as to not compromise the structure.

Air bricks are meant to be used where airflow is required, old solid fuel boilers may have had airbricks in the side of the chimney breast to help with airflow/pull on the flue.

They must be removed when a gas fire is installed, you need to use bricks and mortar - not sure where you read about using airbricks but you would have to render them - which is pointless as they're more expensive than a standard brick.

'I'm grateful for the advice re the teeing into another appliance. If I do decide to go ahead and have a gas fire installed, I'll certainly make sure the supply is not connected in this way.' i'm not saying you can't - if it's 22mm supply reduced to 15mm then it will be fine - if it's 15mm from the meter it wont be. Use a reputable RGI try to get someone that has been recommended by friends or family - if he says it'll work then it probably will.

htg

richy-g
Labourer
Labourer

genesis spectra fire

by richy-g » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi xcizzix,

I've got a genesis spectra fire, i've had it for a while. Do you possibly have the pebble arrangements, as my Mrs has took the out to clean them and i don't know how to put them back!

Thanks

Rich

timthegas
Apprentice
Apprentice

by timthegas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:23 pm

all as above just wondering what you mean by airbricks, as you mention good old fashioned bricks and mortar. are you refering to breaze blocks which are pretty much the modern brick just may be a confusion on description.

RobertChella
Labourer
Labourer

by RobertChella » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

I have recently had a new gas fire fitted into an existing fireplace. What I thought was a simple in and out job. I have now been presented with a bill for £140.00 which included material charges (some sealer), does this seem fair? I did not get a quote before the job began.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:42 pm