Running Under Floor Heating Continuously - Is this the Correct Setup for this Type System?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
porkpie1977
Labourer
Labourer

Running Under Floor Heating Continuously - Is this the Correct Setup for this Type System?

Post by porkpie1977 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi,

I was hoping someone might have an opinion on the following...

I have moved into a new house with UFH almost entirely throughout the property, and am puzzled by the workings of the system.

I've read that the most appropriate use of the system is to leave the boiler on, and control the room temp via thermostats, which is what I have been doing. However, I have been monitoring my gas usage, and even when all thermostats are set to zero, I'm still consuming a reasonable amount of gas per day (no other appliances using gas, no leak).

I then noticed that the boiler is firing up occasionally, maybe once every 10 minutes, for a short time (maybe 15 seconds) - this explains the gas usage. I also noticed that the pump attached to the UFH manifold is also running constantly, while the boiler is on, even though there is no call for heat to any rooms/zones.

My questions are these:
1) Is it correct that the pump is running continuously? or should it just start when there is demand for heat to one of the rooms?
2) Would this explain why the boiler firing up occasionally, to re-heat any water that is losing heat while being pumped between the boiler and manifold?

I've done a lot of searching on this forum and others, but with no luck.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
Iain

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1