Saddle Valve Fitted but no Water Coming Through?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lord Snooty
Labourer
Labourer

Saddle Valve Fitted but no Water Coming Through?

by Lord Snooty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello,

Have just fitted a water filter and attached the saddle valve to the cold water pipe, which is pvc. But no water is passing through the valve. I know this because I disconnected the pipe. I've also partially unscrewed the valve and water began to seep out, so it's punctured the pipe. Any ideas? I did think about trying to fit a tee junction, but I don't know if 15mm to 6mm is possible? Besides there's not much room.

Thanks,

Woodcrafts_UK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Saddle Valve Fitted but no Water Coming Through?

by Woodcrafts_UK » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Saddle valves are designed to work on rigid copper pipe, not PEX plastice pipes. I am guessing it has punctured the pipe, enough for water to leak out when you loosen it but not actually put a proper hole into the pipe.
You could try turning off the water supply, removing the saddle valve and checking if it has cut a clean hole into the pipe. I doubt it, but if it has, it may be that the plastic offcut has jammed into the end of the saddle valve cutter, effectively blocking it. If that's the case, remove the blockage and refit the saddle valve, making sure it goes in exactly the same position.
If the saddle valve hasn't cut a neat hole, then you need to carefully drill a proper hole in the plastic pipe to match the diameter of the saddle valve cutter. Obviously take great care NOT to drill into the other side of the plastic pipe!!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm