safely getting rid of an electric shower...
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
molecular
Labourer
Labourer

safely getting rid of an electric shower...

by molecular » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi there,

my new flat bathroom had both a nice powerful set of mixer taps on the bath, connecting to a shower hose, and a rather rubbish electric shower above the bath.

I have removed the electric shower, and was hoping to just be able to tile over where it was, and put in a shower head connected to the taps, but of course now I have a copper pipe and electricity cable sticking out of the wall.

I realise tidying that sort of thing up is probably for the professionals, but what is my best hope of concealing the wiring and pipe altogether?

The flat is all lath and plaster, and both have just been plastered over, so complete removal would be a bit of an expense...

thanks for any advice,

Hector.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

The cable needs taping up and pushing back into the void of the stud wall. It must also be totally disconnected and the ends taped up in the fusebox too. Under no circumstances leave it connected at the mains end. Remember fuseboxes are still live when they are switched off so please be very careful!

Just cap the pipe off with a compression cap end and push back into the wall. better still, to avoid dead water, find where it tees of the mains and disconnect there.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:25 am

It's "best practice" not to leave ANY dead ends anywhere so in truth the whole lot should come out.

Don't forget that any work on a consumer unit is notifiable to LABC under Part P.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am