scart signal to another room - without wireless??
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

scart signal to another room - without wireless??

by prbaxter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:49 am

Hi all,

I have a wireless TV sender, but it always gives bad reception due to the number of wireless devices that we and our neighbours have in our houses.

So, I'm wanting to fit a scart wall socket in our living room, and have the cable chased in to the wall to the bedroom directly upstairs, where there will be another scart wall socket.

Has anyone done this? are there any limitations such as signal strenth over distance, etc...? and where can I buy the materials? I've found some sockets but not too sure about the cable. Do I just buy a very long scart to scart cable (10m should do it)?

And whilst I'm at it, I might as well install cables for component, HiDef and Coax, so all I have to do is change the face plates if I have the need to change.

Any ideas?

Bax

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Part of the problem you will have is the number of cables needed for a scart plug. They have 21 wires if all pins are connected. If you use a good quality screened cable normal video and audio signals will carry that distance without noticeable degradation. Different for HDMI though.

If you just need composite video and stereo, then not all the cables will be needed.

Try the web for Maplin they sell scart cable for £1.79/mtr.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:43 am

Much depends of quality you require but I got a unit that converts SCART or Com syn into an RF signal like any analogue TV uses. This is in lead from DVD player to down stairs TV.
I also have two satellite receivers one free to air and one sky the RF cable also goes via these too I had to note all channels in use and carefully select free channels but I took cable into loft and through a four way active splitter so all three bedrooms and kitchen have three extra channels as well as normal analogue.
The system seems to work well. There are proprietary systems that do the same thing.
On a 14 inch TV it's OK I would think with a 42 inch TV you would find it lacked quality but I don't use such big TV's in bed room.
I think you will find SCART will not work very well over long distances although I have long S video lead which seems to work OK got it from Aldi

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 am