SCOTLAND wood burning stove - do I need a warrant?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deek
Labourer
Labourer

SCOTLAND wood burning stove - do I need a warrant?

Post by deek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi all,

I have opened up & repaired an old fireplace. House C.1767, original gable end present & chimney ok, but, when the 1st floor was added in 1970s they capped the chimney at upstairs ceiling/attic floor level. I intend to put in a wood burning stove;
5" flue- enamel where visible, flexi-flue through chimney & selkirk doubleskin through the attic space where no chimney exists & out through the roof.

Two questions;

1. I'm in Scotland - can anyone confirm whether I need to get a building warrant/notify the council or not?
I have been told this work can be done as a DIY non-warrant/non-notification job up here as I am not building a new chimney or fireplace but reinstating & lining an existing one.....but the regs are very confusing on this issue.

2. Can anyone recommend a supplier for the 5" enamel to 5" felxiflue connector? all the usual suspects on-line are out of stock.

hope someone can help.

thanks
deek

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1