Screeding to resurface a concrete drive
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simon1953
Labourer
Labourer

Screeding to resurface a concrete drive

Post by Simon1953 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:29 pm

A few years ago I decided to resurface a rough old concrete drive I have with a sand & cement screed. I jet washed the drive, primed it with SBR bonding agent, and then applied a slurry of SBR, cement & water, before applying the screed consisting of concreting sand, cement, SBR, & water. All seemed fine for the first 2-3 years, but then, at one corner, the new surface started to crack and lift from the substrate concrete. The area where the screed has lost its adhesion to the concrete below has now started spreading, but apart from this corner, the rest of the drive remains good. This area is where the drive widens as it joins the road, and it gets used as a parking/turning space by people such as the postman & delivery drivers. Could this extra use explain the fragmenting of the screed here? If I resurface this area again, what extra precautions would be needed to prevent a repeat of this fragmentation?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Screeding to resurface a concrete drive

Post by stoneyboy » Mon May 24, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi simon1953
With the use you describe it is unlikely that screeding will provide a long term solution. Just redo it with a strong mix and accept that in time it will need redoing.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:45 am