Screeding Without Perimeter Foam for Converting Workshop into Utility Room
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

omelette42
Labourer
Labourer

Screeding Without Perimeter Foam for Converting Workshop into Utility Room

by omelette42 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:09 am

I'm converting a "workshop", attached to the the side of my house into a utility room. It is a single skin brick built room measuring 2.5 x 5m.

In order to raise the floor to the rest of the house, I am installing a floating screed floor. I've laid the DPM and insulation boards, then had someone in to lay the screed.

I asked before he started if I should have a foam strip around the perimeter to which he said it wasn't needed. The screed is down now without the foam strip and I am now convinced that was wrong and worried about future issues.

Can someone tell me what issues I may encounter as a result of not having this strip. I know it's required for expansion, but how much realistically could it move? If it does move will the screed crack and fail in some way or could it damage the structure of the brick wall?

Is there anything that can be done to remedy this before issues occur or is it a case of having to pull it all up and start again?

The plan was to put up studwork and insulation next but I don't know if I should now hold off.

Thanks

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:54 am