Screwing into Floor Joists from Below to Construct Shelving in Basement
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

Screwing into Floor Joists from Below to Construct Shelving in Basement

by the2ems » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 pm

Not sure if I am in the right place for this. If not can someone please direct me to the correct section.
I live in a Victorian terrace with a basement below the kitchen and dining room, and I want to install some storage shelves below the dining room. I suspect that this was once a coal cellar, as the floor is very lumpy bumpy, and I don't think there is anything solid underneath. This would be a bit difficult to install floor standing shelving. The walls are Los stone rather than brick, so I don't really want to try drilling them. I was thinking I could firstly install some timber uprights, which would stand on the floor to take the weight, but would be screwed into the dining rooms floor joists to keep them secure. Is there any problem with screwing into these joists?

Mad110
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Screwing into Floor Joists from Below to Construct Shelving in Basement

by Mad110 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Sounds fine to me, if you're using timber uprights , put a small piece of damp proof course or thick plastic underneath them. The floor probably has no damp proof course and the uprights may perish quickly.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm