Sealing back-to-wall WC pan to tiled floor
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
edrandall
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing back-to-wall WC pan to tiled floor

by edrandall » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:50 pm

We have a new "Jika MIO" back-to-wall WC in the bathroom, they've just sat it directly on the tiled floor which isn't 100% flat and as a result it "rocks" slightly when you sit on it.

In the instructions it shows that the floor should be cleaned with "SOAP" first and then "WHITE CEMENT" applied to the base and rear of the pan.

The plumbing shop suggested using white silicone sealant. But I guess that would be practically impossible to remove, should the need ever arise, whereas this "WHITE CEMENT" stuff might be better suited to the job.

But does anyone know what they mean by "WHITE CEMENT" and where do I get it? Perhaps it's something else lost in translation from the original Czech? I can't find any reference to such a thing anywhere (other than a bulk building material for mixing white concrete, to make white buildings).

Should I stop worrying and just use silicone? But what if I then get a leak in the foul waste connector (which I've had to disconnect to move and straighten up the pan)?

What does everyone else use for this apparently trivial task?!

Thanks
Ed

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 pm

I have no idea what is meant by white cement.

I fit toilets on a regular basis and almost always use silicone (either white or clear) to fix the pan to the floor after tiling. If the floor base is concrete, use a weak mix of mortar.

Silicone can easily be removed should the pan require removing at a later date.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:43 pm

plumbbob is right, silicone is a pretty standard way of 'bedding' under a toilet - some plumbers just use silicone but i would always fix down with screws as well. the silicone will hold firm for as long as you need it and will stop the rocking.

the toilet will quite easily pull away from the silicone if needs be. a sharp scraper will remove it from the toilet and the tiles. be warned though - i've taken toilets out and the silicone has pulled the tiles up with it! (more a reflection on the age or workmanship gone into the tile laying, mind you)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:21 pm