Sealing Edges of Previously Peeled Silk Paint Before Re-Painting
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Duno
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing Edges of Previously Peeled Silk Paint Before Re-Painting

by Duno » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Got a problem that I can't solve so I need help from the good people here cos it's starting to get on my t*ts : (

Basically my walls were painted in white silk emulsion years ago. Walls have been fine to date. The problem is I ended up making a few holes in one of the walls so while repairing it I only went and made it bigger and worse. As I was prepping the area (sanding, filling holes and sanding again), parts of the existing silk paint started peeling so I ended up with a foot of peeled paint. I applied some filler to the edges and sanded to feather it out then painted again with silk emulsion. Started off looking smashing and seamless, then the outer edges started bubbling and now it looks like sh*t. See attached photo.

It seems moisture from the new paint has wet the outer edges of the old paint which has caused it to bubble. So I'm guessing I need to strip it back again and somehow seal the outer edges of the peeled paint BEFORE re-painting? If so, what sealer do I use?

Would be most grateful for any help at all guys!

Much thanks in advance

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Sealing Edges of Previously Peeled Silk Paint Before Re-Painting

by DocMartin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 am

Can't see any photo. You could try thinned PVA. Maybe 1:3 PVA:water?

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Sealing Edges of Previously Peeled Silk Paint Before Re-Painting

by gc1967 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Scrape off all the flaking paint and apply stain block and then fill and lightly sand and touch in filler with stain block and then repaint your wall / walls.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 am