DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Second Consumer Unit located distant from Service Inlet

Postby skol » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

What is the protection requirements for providing a second CU 4.7m distant from the main service inlet which consists of a 60A sealed-fuse, meter and 63A house RCBO (or it might be just an RCD, I can't tell)?

Must I have a near fused DP switch to protect the cable traversing from the service inlet 4.7m to the distant CU? The distant CU has its own switch anyway (just like the near CU).

Any ideas?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:28 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Skol,
It depends how its to be connected to incoming supply, eg if going from a spare way on original bd, eg from a 50A mcb as a sub main then no other isolation required.
However if using 'Henley blocks' to split 'tails' then to comply there would have to be a local isolator, as i'm sure the 'part P ' registered leckie doing the job will be happy to confirm,
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics