Security External Light Problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Harryten
Labourer
Labourer

Security External Light Problems

by Harryten » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm trying to change the security light on the external wall of the front of the house. The previous one the sensor shorted. So bought one from B and Q and installed it. Old wire colours. Black, Reddy/Brown and uncovered. So put Black to Blue, Reddy Brown to Brown and uncovered to Yellow/Green. Still down't work.
Have bought a little power tester (one of the ones that look like a little screw driver) and it's telling me that power is getting to the light. (Have touched all wires from wall socket and all light up except the Black. Is this normal? Then touching the wires going into the light all light up.

Am I being a numpty here? I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or the light just doesn't work.

Can anyone help me??????????????

Thanks

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

Light

by jackhawk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi,

If your new light is a PIR, then on it, you should find some small dials. One for LUX(how dark you want it to be before it comes on) and or sensativity. Some incorperate a time length too. Try adjusting them. You will hear a small click when it comes on even if the bulb has gone.

Regards

Jack

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm