Security light constantly on
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
donjayok
Apprentice
Apprentice

Security light constantly on

by donjayok » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a halogen security light in my back garden and in the last couple of nights been constantly on at night. Funnily enough, we had a power cut 2 days ago as well and it has happened since then. Before that though, it has been working fine.

I have tried to adjust the sensors on the light but doesnt seem to make a difference. I cant even see a switch or button to even switch it off till I get someone to have a look at it. I might take the bulb out tomorrow during the day so I dont burn my hands!

Anyway, any ideas as to why the light would just go constantly on?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm

On most motion sensitive lights in order to turn off the motion sensitive part and make the light stay on all of the time you flip the power switch on, then off, then on again quickly. This will cause the lights to stay on until you turn the switch off and on again. The power cut may have replicated this. Or it could be that the sensor is knackered. Go to the fuse board, turn off what ever fuse controls that light, count to ten put it back on, your light may go back to working normally.
I must say it's slightly concerning there is no isolation switch, suggests to me it's a diy job done badly. might be worth getting someone in to check it out.

Andrew Betteridge
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Andrew Betteridge » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:47 pm

They don't like cold weather and may sort themselves out when the Sun shines and it gets warmer.

Andy

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:39 am

Some PIR's can be set by turning power off and on to different functions the power cut may have changed the setting and you may need to switch power off/on so many times to return to configuration you require you need to read instructions for your unit.

donjayok
Apprentice
Apprentice

by donjayok » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks for your advise and help guys.

The light was actually installed by an electrician and was not a DIY job!

I will give the suggestions a go and see what happens.

Thanks again.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:54 pm