Seeking advice on DIY lightning rod system
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
epowell
Labourer
Labourer

Seeking advice on DIY lightning rod system

by epowell » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:48 am

Hi Everyone

I am seeking advice regarding the DIY LIGHTNING ROD system system design and installation.

I am certain I have the skills, experience, and tools to tackle the job, but would like to confirm with people who really know the subject - that my own understanding and plans are correct - before I actually buy materials and begin the work.

It is a very very very large house (200 years old brick building in Czech Rep.). We had a roofing company install a new aluminum roof, and they removed the original RODS and CABLES and told us we'd have to get another company to install new equipment.

My current plan is to attach tall copper rods to two of the chimneys, then run well insulated thick copper cable thru the roof into the attic. Run the cable along the attic beams to the roof eave - thru the wall to the outside - then down to the ground to re-connect with the original rod going into the ground.

Can anyone offer some feedback and advice. Thanks so much in advance.

Thanks
Edward

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Seeking advice on DIY lightning rod system

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi epowell
I am no expert but two things strike me - all your conducting parts should be external to the roof and building, the current flow may cause insulated cable to catch fire. Also I am not sure about mixing aluminium and copper in an installation - the aluminium may become the sacrificial metal.
Regards S

epowell
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Seeking advice on DIY lightning rod system

by epowell » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks so much...
I saw on a youtube vid they were running the cable thru the attic --- but now EVERYONE is telling me NOT to do that so I think I won't do that :)

Currently thinking just to hire someone to do it ($1000), since my partner is refusing to allow me to build a system DIY.

Let's see... we are currently assessing the actual risk level to ascertains how soon we should do it - if at all. Several houses just near us do not have RODS, but our house is much taller than all of them, so obviously they are all counting with US getting hit and not them :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:48 am