Seeking thick chunky skirting boards?!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
StrangerUK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seeking thick chunky skirting boards?!

by StrangerUK » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Hello all
I have a vision of chunky skirting boards, just a rectangular block (no grooves or carvings)120mm tall and something like 50-60mm thick. In the back of it, I'd like to have some channels for wiring (speaker cable, networking cable, etc), and have some circular spotlights mounted flush in them every few metres so they glow on the floor.
I've spent hours Googling for such a product but no luck. Does anyone know of such a product out there?
I suppose I could buy the strips of wood, prepare it, and do it all myself, but truth is I'm a complete newbie to DIY! I know what I want, but I have no idea how to achieve it!!
Cheers
Mark

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm

StrangerUK,
Go to a local timber merchant, select the size of skirting board you would like and get them to router out whatever size of groove you would like. Make sure it is in the middle of the board so that you can securely fix to the wall.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

momentomori
Labourer
Labourer

by momentomori » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Buy some standard flat skirting and fix some inch square battens to the top and bottom. You will end up with some chunky skirting with a pre formed recess for cabling and lighting etc.

Hope this helps.

K.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:10 pm