self-levelling compound
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Redtool_man
Labourer
Labourer

self-levelling compound

by Redtool_man » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:48 am

Hello,

I want to know if I can use self-levelling compound on top of ceramic tiles. I am laying vinyl cushion floor on top so don't want any grooves or bumps that will show through the vinyl. Is there a special compound, do I need to apply something over the tiles first. CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Lift the ceramics first. Remove as much of the tile addy as you can. Then use SLC to give you a level substrate.

Cheers

lionelthevinyl
Labourer
Labourer

Re: self-levelling compound

by lionelthevinyl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

[quote="Redtool_man"]Hello,

I want to know if I can use self-levelling compound on top of ceramic tiles. I am laying vinyl cushion floor on top so don't want any grooves or bumps that will show through the vinyl. Is there a special compound, do I need to apply something over the tiles first. CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE[/quote]
yes there is a product.its a liquid damp proof membrane.
you apply the liquid and throw a special sand on to it.when this sets it creates a mechanical key to which the levelling compound will bond.
this also guarentees that there would be no damp problems.as unlike ceramic tiles the vinyl can wont let the subfloor breathe.this way is the industry standard.but will increase floor height.
hope this helps.
regards martin floorlayer

flooring123pean
Labourer
Labourer

by flooring123pean » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 am

The simple answer is yes. Just ensure to use the correct prima onto your ceramics and that the ceramics are well bonded.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:55 pm