Self Levelling Screed
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DannyVandal
Labourer
Labourer

Self Levelling Screed

by DannyVandal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 am

I have had a new kitchen fitted, units are in place along with fridge, dishwasher etc. I ripped up the old flooring and and am now back to concrete with a few lumps of adheesive and a couple of large holes. I would like to lay ceramic tiles over this but also put in some electric underfloor heating, just to take the chill off the floor not as a main heat source. I need a plan of action and was thinking something like:

Fill in holes, sand down bigger bumps.
Pour over a self levelling screed.
Fixing underfloor heating into/onto that.
Lay tiles on top of that.

There are a few things that are bothering me like how far under the already installed cupboards will the screed go? Should I take the fridge freezer, dishwasher out or try to tile up to them?

Any other advice?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:17 pm

DannyVandal,
use the self leveling compound to give a level floor including under the white goods. Bed the heating mat in the tile adhesive. I doubt you will have clearance to include insulation under the heating mat.
end

DannyVandal
Labourer
Labourer

by DannyVandal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 am

Stoneyboy, thanks for the reply. So, my new list looks like this:

Fill in holes, sand down bigger bumps.
Remove white goods.
Pour over a self levelling screed.
Dry lay the tiles.
Spread tile adhesive after I'm happy with layout of tiles.
Fix underfloor heating into adhesive.
Lay tiles on top of that.

Reckon it would be better to get the heating on mats or just as a wire?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 pm

DannyVandal.
On a mat is easier for the majority of the floor, you can always cut the mat and end up with a single strand.
Lay the mat and spread the adhesive onto it - if you have a hot melt glue gun use the to make sure the mat is flat before you apply the adhesive.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 pm

My .preference would be for the wire, as i find it more versatile.
You must be very careful with the floor area measurement, of the area you wish to heat, and follow instructions carefully.
Do test cable and probe prior to and after installation as either faulty is expensive to resolve.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:56 am