Self locking doors
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

Self locking doors

by the2ems » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:58 am

Not sure how to explain this correctly, but here goes.
In my daughters house she has 3 external doors that lock just by lifting the handles. This can be done from both inside and outside, and there are no claws involved. They can all be unlocked from either side in the normal way with a key. Although I have not yet removed the barrels, they all appear to be euro type, so I am guessing that this locking mechanism is in the handle setup. But I don't really know. I have never come across this type of locking before.
She has an active 2 year old, and my worry is that he will lock her out one day by pushing up the handle. Once it is pushed up the key is required to unlock again.
Has anyone had experience of these locks, and is it possible to disable the "self lock" mechanism?

Thanks

the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Self locking doors

by the2ems » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 am

[quote="the2ems"]Not sure how to explain this correctly, but here goes.
In my daughters house she has 3 external doors that lock just by lifting the handles. This can be done from both inside and outside, and there are no claws involved. They can all be unlocked from either side in the normal way with a key. Although I have not yet removed the barrels, they all appear to be euro type, so I am guessing that this locking mechanism is in the handle setup. But I don't really know. I have never come across this type of locking before.
She has an active 2 year old, and my worry is that he will lock her out one day by pushing up the handle. Once it is pushed up the key is required to unlock again.
Has anyone had experience of these locks, and is it possible to disable the "self lock" mechanism?

Thanks[/quote]

Hmm, I have just taken the locking mechanism off, and it appears that the gearbox works that way and cannot be disabled. So it looks like a new gearbox. The current one is a GU 35/92. Can I replace it with any make of the same size?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:10 pm