Selling a house with extension that was not done by the building regulations spec
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richard68
Labourer
Labourer

Selling a house with extension that was not done by the building regulations spec

by richard68 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:08 pm

We had a loft conversion done some years ago, it was not done by the building regulations spec , however it does have a fixed wooden staircase but the staircase was put in the third bedroom of the house which was only a very small box room bedroom. I would like to know when i sell my house can i still sell it as a three bedroomed house ? or would it have to be sold as a two bedroomed house ?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm

richard68,
Get an estate agent to give you a free valuation and ask how he would describe your house.
end

dogfonos
Labourer
Labourer

by dogfonos » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:12 pm

The issue of number of bedrooms is the least of your problems. When you attempt to sell your property, the purchaser's solicitor will raise the issue of the converted loft space not conforming to bld regs in force at that time. There are several possible outcomes - speak to your solicitor about it. Potential purchasers may use this issue as leaverage to reduce the asking price! Good luck.

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm

So you're asking about the existing third bedroom as opposed to the loft conversion?

In my opinion, it would still be sold as a three bedroom house because you could say the staircase from that room to the loft is like a "hay-loft", which is solely used by the person in that bedroom.

However, as already mentioned, you may have a problem with the Building Regulations side if/when you come to see, which may involve a retrospective application (i.e. regularisation).

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 pm