Selv psu for Vent-Axia Svara bathroom fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Buff69
Labourer
Labourer

Selv psu for Vent-Axia Svara bathroom fan

by Buff69 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi vent-axia Svara bathroom fan going in zone 1, vent-axia PSU centra selv lo-carbon (12v transforme) question = how far can the PSU be from the fan, i would like it about 1.5 meters from the fan (cable length) or must it be as close as possible (in the loft) to the fan 1.5mm twin+earth cable any help much appreciated

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Selv psu for Vent-Axia Svara bathroom fan

by ericmark » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Unlikely to be a problem even with 20 foot as it uses that little current.

Buff69
Labourer
Labourer

by Buff69 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi thanks for your answer i can put it above the door on outside of the bathroom now where i want it to go many thanks

Hellooldchap
Labourer
Labourer

by Hellooldchap » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:09 am

What transformer did you use please? I have one of these fans to fit and I can't find any info about the amps required on 12volts.

Buff69
Labourer
Labourer

by Buff69 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi mate sorry for the late reply I will get the information for you asap in the morning

Buff69
Labourer
Labourer

by Buff69 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi mate the fan is brilliant. The transformer I bought was a Vent-Axia 444102,and bought from uk spares (internet). Its dear though at £73.84. It was this or the £20 manrose one which I didn’t like the look of. Mine came in a box with 444102 on the front but on the back of the PSU it said another number, so i rang Vent-Axia tech support up and they said it was the correct one, just hadn’t had the number updated, so just in case you get the same don’t worry. If there is anything else you need help with don’t hesitate to ask and if i can help i will.

Hellooldchap
Labourer
Labourer

Hellooldchap

by Hellooldchap » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Many thanks, I actually went to Yess Electrical today at lunch time and they sold me a small LED light transformer for £20 which they said was more than adequate. I could of got more or less the same thing from Screwfix for £10, but I wasn't sure if it would work.

PatrickF
Labourer
Labourer

by PatrickF » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi - sorry to post on here but I need to ask about this Vent transformer - can you guys recommend an alternative? UK Spares doesn't have it in stock and I need it by Friday.
Thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:00 am

It is rare today to use a simple transformer, most are switch mode power supplies, which means the output is often in the MHz range rather than 50 Hz, or even DC.

So step one is read what is on the original unit, in the main switch mode power supplies say some thing like 20-60 VA, VA is volts x amps which is nearly the same as watts, but what we are looking for is not starting at zero, if 60 Watt max could be a simple transformer, but if says will not go below a figure then likely a switched mode power supply.

Today you can get switched mode power supplies starting a zero, which is great, it means you can then use an LED bulb from same supply, but if the motor is designed for 50 Hz don't want a switched mode.

You can get toroidal transformers for lighting which are 50 Hz, the are heavier, and more expensive. You can also get LED drivers, which are DC, but careful some fixed voltage and some fixed current, you likely need fixed voltage type.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:52 am