Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LIMEBEE
Labourer
Labourer

Sewage Smells

Post by LIMEBEE » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi

I live in a 2nd floor flat and have been getting some awful sewage and "dead animal" smells in the back bedroom.

I've tried cleaning the drains with commercial drain cleaner and bleach but it hasn't helped. The smell seems to come and go randomly. I got a plumber in and he said it might be a loose joint in the drain running from the kitchen in the middle of the flat through the bedroom out to the main downpipe running down the rear of the building. Is there any way without replacing the whole system to check if it is indeed a loose joint. Or can anybody offer any other suggestion or help?

Thanks for even reading this far.

Limebee

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 pm

If it's a drain - get a drainage company in that uses CCTV to inspect the drains and joints.

If it's just a waste pipe, then it will be cheap and easy to repair/replace, the hardest part will be lifting the flooring and floorboards.

Htg

thedrainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by thedrainman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:22 am

It could be a blockage somewhere that is causing the water to brawn out of the sink waste, this will then cause the sewer to vent through the sink, when you get the smell run the tap for a few seconds to fill the traps, if smell goes then you have a blockage somewhere. You will need a good plumber or drainage engineer to investigate, watch out as this can be costly

Mark The Drainman

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am