shed wall knocking down and support for concrete roof
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deann3g
Labourer
Labourer

shed wall knocking down and support for concrete roof

by deann3g » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:09 am

Hi

I have a shed in my garden that is divided into 3 sections and wanting knocking through into one big shed. The roof is a concrete slab and I'm not sure if I will need to use support such as lintels because roof maybe to heavy. My shed is 6 meters long and 2.80 m wide and 2.30 high.
I have uploaded some simple drawings to help give a beter idea.

What I want doing is the to knock down the two walls in the middle of the shed to remove the middle room so it is one big shed, and I will brick up the doors on the left and right side of the shed, leaving the middle to gain access.

Would I need steel beam, or lintels in the places were i'm going to knock down the wall? Or will I be okay? Could some please have a look at the structural calculations as i'm not sure where to begin?
Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Dean

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: shed wall knocking down and support for concrete roof

by welsh brickie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:54 pm

I would say yes, you would need to support the roof, 6m is a long area to go unsupported

deann3g
Labourer
Labourer

Re: shed wall knocking down and support for concrete roof

by deann3g » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:41 pm

welsh brickie wrote:I would say yes, you would need to support the roof, 6m is a long area to go unsupported

Hi welsh brickie, thanks for your reply.

So would two 165cm lintels be sufficient? What is the recommended over hang for the lintels because I would struggle for space on side of the walls? Should i build a little pillar to give more space on the over hang?

Thanks again

Dean

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:37 am