Should I replace my Ideal Elan
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
parkejr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Should I replace my Ideal Elan

Post by parkejr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:48 am

Hi,

Just moved into a bungalow - I guess it was built in the early to mid 80s, so 20 to 25 years old. It has two bathrooms.

The CH and HW system is driven by an Ideal Elan boiler, which can simaltanously heat water for the hot tank (900 mm x 450 mm tank) and heat the radiators (about 10 of them, different shapes and sizes) - I'm thinking of replacing the boiler.

The system seems to be working ok - I set the boiler to heat the water for two hours, from 5am to 7am, and it has sufficient water for two people to shower, and maybe a bit more for an hour or two afterwards, but it's usually cold again by about 10 am.

Question 1) Is this about right? Should I expect more hot water than this?

Question 2) would I be better using the 3kw immersion heater in the tank instead?

Question 3) Would it be worth switiching to a more modern, energy efficienct boiler - perhaps a combi? My wife would like hot water on tap...

Thanks,

Jeff.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:36 pm

The tank should provide enough hot water for a bath, it obviously depends on how high you have the thermostat set, as some people can half fill a bath with hot water and half cold and get 2 bath's - but for one bath - if you have to add cold water then it's a waste, why not turn stat down so it is the correct temperature - saving gas.

Obviously for showers it depends on how long you're in the shower, some people spend 10 mins, some an hour.

It's your call whether to change the boiler or not - you'll probably save on your gas bills - but you'll probably not save enough to pay for the initial layout of the installation for at least 5 years.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 am

Ditto

parkejr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by parkejr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks guys

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1