Should I replace my (possibly 20 y/o) Ideal Mexico 2 boiler with a modern combi?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

cluelesscitizen
Labourer
Labourer

Should I replace my (possibly 20 y/o) Ideal Mexico 2 boiler with a modern combi?

by cluelesscitizen » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:45 pm

The boiler is working fine but is an old conventional boiler, and what is quite annoying is that the central heating system has no 'y valve' so you can't have hot water without turning on the heating (in the summer we put the thermostat on minimum but it still comes on). I had some plumbing work done and the lads did a good job so I asked them to quote for a new combi boiler while they were there. The total cost to supply and fit a Worcester Greenstar 30i combi boiler would be £3576 - which I think is reasonable for the outer London suburbs.

The boiler existing conventional boiler has been here since I moved in 10 years ago, and was not brand new then, so it's maybe 12 to 20 years old. The model is an Ideal Mexico 2 B.E.D. which is a generic designation (unfortuantely all that I could find on the boiler itself and I spoke to Ideal too), but I have a manual which covers CF 40, CF 50 , and CF 60 which I assume are largely similar but have an increased capacity. As I have a 3 bedroom townhouse, I'm prepared to go with CF 50 as a likely candidate for a mid size house.

I'm just wondering how long is the Ideal boiler likely to last before packing it in, and is it worth replacing it now? It appears to be working without a problem, and although it is annoying having to have central heating on to get hot water, with the thermostat turned down I have lived with it for 10 years. I know the efficiency savings from a combi boiler against a 15 - 20 year old conventional, will not remotely justify it; but with the piece of mind of a new install and seperate hot water maybe it is worth it. Just would like to know what people think. Thanks

It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:56 pm