Should I seal a Wall using Chemical Sealer or Use a Lime Based Plaster?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neald
Apprentice
Apprentice

Should I seal a Wall using Chemical Sealer or Use a Lime Based Plaster?

Post by neald » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:13 pm

i have small job to do for a punter and would like some advice,the internal wall area under a bay window has had a new damp course done on the external side and the old plaster on the inside has been hacked off to remove old damp plaster down to the brickwork,should i cement the wall mixing the appropiate chemicals to seal the wall or should i use limelite plaster? thanks neald

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:40 am

well in theory if the damp proofers have done their job properly then the damp has gone away. just use normal plaster.

neald
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by neald » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]well in theory if the damp proofers have done their job properly then the damp has gone away. just use normal plaster.[/quote]as it is down to the brick work i would have to sand and cement render then skim, would i not have to put an additive in the water to mix in with render to stop any water that is inside the wall from coming out i.e. a salt barrier?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:21 am

you can't really plaster or render on walls that are still drying out after a damp issue. wait until fully dried out. if the plaster crystaises then it crystalises not much you can do to stop it, sometimes it happens without rhyme nor reason.

you can cement render our use an undercoat on bare brickwork. some say that the internal side of exterior walls should be rendered but you pays your money and takes your choice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 pm