shower and combi boiler
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldpj100
Labourer
Labourer

shower and combi boiler

by oldpj100 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:07 pm

I've just bought a modern shower cubicle with an large overhead jet, and several side ones. The problem is we have a combi boiler which doesn't produce a strong enough flow to make a suffiecinet hot feed. I am unsure if a pump would help as the boiler might struggle to heat the water as quick as the pump pulls it.
Someone suggested a seperate hot water tank (we live in a bungalow so the only place is the loft) to use for the feed, along with a pump. We have good pressure on the cold rising.
Can anyone help???

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Shower question.

by Arnak » Sat May 12, 2007 11:56 am

Hi,

Yeah, combi's without sufficient pressure are a problem with showers. :cry:

Fitting a pump would not work as it will draw water to fast from the boiler to be effective.

Putting a tank into the loft is not on as you will also need an immersion cylinder to store the hot water as well.
This will not work well with a combi boiler as they are not made for that type of system.

I had the same problem in my house, I only cured it by fitting a very large boiler.

The pressure in the hot and cold should be the same as far as I know, with a pressure valve fitted on the cold supply to the boiler to cap it at about 2.5 bar.

With small boilers and large mixer showers with all the bells and whistles a high output combi is required.

Not much help in my answer I'm afraid.

Arnak

oldpj100
Labourer
Labourer

by oldpj100 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 pm

thanks for that arnak. so short of buying an expensive new boiler i'm stuck! I thought a dedicated immersion tank in the loft might be a cheaper option. do you know if building regs allow an immersion in the loft?

oldpj100
Labourer
Labourer

by oldpj100 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:20 pm

thanks for that Arnak.
So short of buying an expensive big boiler i'm stuck!
I thought a dedicated immesion (not on the CH system) might be the cheaper option?
Do you know if building regs allow an immersion in the loft?
thanks
pete

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Immersion tank..

by Arnak » Sun May 13, 2007 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm not sure on that point to be honest but that could also be a bit of work as you will still need a header tank and that will need to be higher than the top of the immersion cylinder.

So you will need to raise that on a platform. :(

You should be able to check the building regs on line or call a plumber and ask his advice.

Arnak

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:52 am