shower enclosure sizes
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sidc
Labourer
Labourer

shower enclosure sizes

by sidc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm

my existing shower enclosure needs replacing (unknown make). The existing stone tray is in good condition and i dont want to remove it. The walls of the shower are waterproof boards and the problem is that quadrant tray is 900mm but when i measure from the waterproof board to the edge of the tray it is 870mm. When looking at enclosures not sure what the min/max adjustment measurements refer to compared to the out of true adjustments. i.e. 865 to 890 adjustment compared to 20mm wall adjustment and would it fit the tray that is already installed. the tray is astandard 550mm radius.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 am

All trays come in standard sizes such as 700mm, 760mm, 800mm, 900mm & 1000mm, 1200mm etc so your tray WILL be one of those.

Don't forget that the tray will be set in the wall slightly because it will have been tiled after installation and all shower screens will take this into account and be slightly smaller than the tray.

In fact, all enclosures will have adjustments of up to 20mm to cater for variations in installation situations. These details are usually listen in the sales brochure.

However, with quadrant cubicles, unlike straight trays, you have another consideration to take on board, and that is the shape. Quadrant cubicles and trays always come as an item because each manufacturer makes a slightly differently shaped design. This doesn't automatically mean a screen won't fit though, but you need to be very careful.

sidc
Labourer
Labourer

by sidc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 pm

thanks plumbob. my tray is supposed to be a standard 900 quadrant with 550 radius. have took the plunge and ordered enclosure with 865 - 890 adjustment and hope it will fit my tray. as i mentioned previously the measurment of the tray is 875 from the wall to the edge of the tray.

mike1984
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike1984 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am

Yeah, it should definately fit since the majority of trays are recessed into the wall. I thought my tray was 800 x 730 it was recessed into the wall that much :-) Never buy a new house unless you tell them what to kit it out with. I've just got rid of my flimsy thing and opted for a Mira SFE Enclosure pack. Only cost just over £700 on IQ Living for the tray, enclosure and shower which seemed pretty good.

sidc
Labourer
Labourer

by sidc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:17 pm

thanks mike1984.
before taking out the old shower enclosure read the instructions for installing the new enclosure (realised i had made the cardinal sin of assuming that the walls were not true and this was the reason for the differance between the bottom of the enclosure and the top of some 25mm on one side and that the tray was level). when i checked the walls and the uprights all was true and level, but when i checked the tray this was nowhere near level. upshot is that i will have to have the old tray taken out (bedded on mortar) and a new tray fitted and not have this set as far in the wall as the old one.
p.s. plumbob right i should have ordered a new tray with the new enclosure. good advice costs nothing taking the plunge without it expensive.

mike1984
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike1984 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am

LOL

Live and learn.

:D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:48 pm