shower pump location
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

shower pump location

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 am

my father in law has asked me to assist in installing a pump one of their 3 showers. its in an ensuite and they have recently completed a big renovation (would've made sense to do it then but it's one of those afterthoughts...)

ergo, reluctant to pull up carpets and floorboards and wants to put the pump in the bedroom close to the shower, creating as little disruption and lifting as fewer carpets and boards as possible.

i've explained that the pump needs a dedicated supply from both CWSC and hot cylinder but this would mean quite extensive work. he is prepared just to stick the pump on the shower pipes.

i have explained that the kitchen hot water (which tees off the same pipe and drops down through the ceiling, closer to the cylinder than the pump would be) could starve the pump of water if the kitchen tap, washing machine or dishwasher were running whilst somebody were in the shower. and of course that any warranty or guarantee that came with the pump would be invalid from the moment that it was installed.

simple question, is there any other reason that i can offer as to why a pump should NOT be fitted in the way he intends? i'm doing my best to talk him out of it and to do it properly or not at all! and if he goes ahead and fits it that way what is the worst that may happen, excluding damage to the pump (which, bizarrely, he is prepared to risk)

alternatively are there any pumps out there (negative head pump perhaps?) that could be fitted retrospectively in the way he intends? or do they all require independent feeds on both sides? i've tried researching on the net (haven't approached any merchants as its BH weekend) and the info does not stretch this far.

many thanks!

chris

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue May 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Chris

You've told him all the right things. If he doesn't want to listen to you then I'd suggest you walk away. This has the makings of a first class family fallout if you do it his way to appease him and it all goes wrong. You'll get the blame.

The only way to do it to avoid ripping up carpets and boards is by running separate hot and cold supplies in the roofspace to the shower. This would not necessarily be a negative head situation BTW and yes I know the hot will have to come UP from the cylinder first and then both supplies have to come DOWN.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 am

Put the pump in the airing cupboard next to the tank and feed the pipes through the roof space as rosebery says.

Don't run it the way you describe. I know just to prove us wrong, it would probably work, but to be honest I think it will just suck air and cause all sorts of problems.

You are totally right.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu May 29, 2008 10:18 am

My post was edited to remove a link to a very helpful site on this subject whcih shows you can put the pump in the roofspace and so configure it that it doesn't suck air. Perhaps if it had been screwfix I might have got away with it! Never mind.

Unfortunately it's removal doesn't help the import of my post one iota but I understand perhaps why it was done. Unfortunately PMs are enabled either so I can't send you the link privately either.

Perhaps I'll just cut and paste the text later but that won't give you the diagrams. Afraid don't have time right now.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 pm

thanks guys for the confirmation. unfortunately its not feasible to do anything within the attic. they have a roof terrace above the bathroom as it's a three storey house with a two storey extension, so the attic is in the old part of the house.

he still seems quite determined to proceed! i've wiped my hands of it. whether or not any son-in-law privileges will be withdrawn remains to be seen!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:08 pm