Shower Room Timber Ceiling Detail
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

nheyward
Labourer
Labourer

Shower Room Timber Ceiling Detail

by nheyward » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Hi

I haven't been able to find a suitable answer so far, so hoping someone may have some useful guidance here about finishing a shower room ceiling that's not going to be prone to condensation/mould..

I've built a singke storey timber frame garden room that has a warm roof structure and has a separate small toilet/ shower room.

As it is a warm roof structure the visible structural ceiling indoors comprise the ceiling joists with osb above, and I'm wondering how best to board and finish this in the shower room.

I think couple of options could be:

1. Board the ceiling across the joists to create a false ceiling, with perhaps a vapor barrier above the plaster board. (But this will then create unvented voids above the false ceiling between the ceiling joists - might this be an issue, or if the vapor barriers doing it's job perhaps not?)
Also above the Osb as part of the warm roof structure is a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation - is this already sufficient?

2. Leave the ceiling joists exposed but varnish the heck out of them. Board inbeteween the joists with no void between boards and the osb above.

I should add there will be an extractor fan and a window in the shower room.

Any other options and or recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 am