Shower tray installation
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psalley
Labourer
Labourer

Shower tray installation

by psalley » Sun May 27, 2007 11:41 am

Hi, I currently have a bespoke shower tray that is raised to sit on a cover that runs around 2 walls of my ensuite covering the waste pipe from the sink and shower to the main waste pipe from the loo. The copper supply pipes also come up under the shower and then form an S bend before going behind the wall to the mixer. Is there a reason why these pipes weren't hidden under the floor boards by the original builder? We would like to put a floor level shower tray in, and get rid of the boxing that goes around the current pipes.

Am I missing something, or can I hide these pipes under the floor :?:

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun May 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Depends which way the floor joists run. You cannot just cut away sections of floor joists to run pipes here and there, especially 40mm waste pipes. Also, with a floor level shower its a great idea to be able to get under it if the waster ever leaks, which they quite often do.

sayworth
Labourer
Labourer

Shallow Trays

by sayworth » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 am

It is very common to mount trays directly onto a floor and chase out the solid floor or just put the piping under the wooden floor taking care about the prospects of leaking.

Someone mentioned a 40mm waste which is an old style and a cheaper style. I recommend a 90mm waste anyway for faster water extraction and building a small trap door to the side for easy access.

Steel trays are now often mounted onto the floor and not onto legs. You also just raise the floor which is commonly done as a f eature.

You should consult with a plumber and make sure they are Corgi registered, although technically a gas qualification the standard of the person is much higher normally.

Buy a good waste and be aware leaking is the main issue.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:30 am