DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Shower valve problem for replacing old Bristan Gummers

Postby Anna999 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:12 pm

In the 10 year old flat I bought I have a wet room with an old type Bristan Gummers Thermostatic single lever Shower valve. I want to replace it with a modern unit but the two hot and cold pipes from the wall are at 175mm apart centres. Connected to each of these is an isolating valve compression elbow with the valve mounted in between. Any ideas?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:50 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:23 pm

Hi anna999,
If you search the internet you should be able to locate cranked shower connectors. The offset will vary but if you do not want to change the existing pipes out of the wall there is little alternative. You may have to use 40mm offsets and accept the valve is higher or lower.
Remove the isolating valves and fit direct onto the pipes sticking out of the wall (turn water off first).
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics