Shower Ventilation into Loft Space - Will This Dissipate Moisture?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonkbike
Labourer
Labourer

Shower Ventilation into Loft Space - Will This Dissipate Moisture?

by simonkbike » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:31 pm

I want to fit an extractor fan to ventilate the shower in a very small bathroom (8 cu m) so an inline fan of 100 cu m/hr (30ltres/min) should be sufficient. It's a small flat with corresponding small HW cylinder so it won't sustain much more than a 10 minute shower at best.

The roof (1930's house) is unfelted so there's LOTS of ventilation through the tiles. Given the size of fan and likely limited throughput, do I need to fit a tile vent to duct condensation to the outside or can I just leave the duct open into the loft space (say high up near the ridge) and allow the natural ventilation through the loft to dissipate the moisture.

Cheers,
S.

thedoctor

Re: Shower Ventilation into Loft Space - Will This Dissipate Moisture?

by thedoctor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:11 pm

You need to take the ventilation outside Simon. The moisture in the air will not necessarily "dissipate" it will simply hit the cold under-surface of the tiles and condense. This willintroduce moisture drips into the ceiling boards and damage the property.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1