Shower/water pressure issue
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mmc78
Labourer
Labourer

Shower/water pressure issue

by mmc78 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 am

I'd been having some problems with my toilet flushing and I wasn't sure whether it was due to the handle lever set requiring replacement or the diaphragm pump being damaged.

Before I went to look at the cistern I turned the cold water supply off but I also adjusted another valve near the boiler (as I initially thought this one was the cold water valve).

Anyway it was the handle lever set that I needed to replace so I did that and the toilet flushed ok.

However, I got up this morning and turned the shower on and there was no water. The Low Flow signal light also flashed. I then realised that the first valve I adjusted last night must've been the shower supply.

So I turned this valve on but it started to leak at the thread. I left it like this and checked the shower and the water started to run.

Is it possible that when adjusting the cold water valve that I've increased the pressure and this is now causing the shower valve to leak? Or is it likely that the thread on the shower valve is damaged?

This isn't wasn't and existing problem as there's no evidence that it's been leaking at all when the shower's been on previously.

I now wish that I never touched the valves as to replace the lever set I didn't have to turn the water off, I only did this incase it was a problem with the pump!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

If the valve has never been closed or hasn't been used in a while they can get stuck, when you close it even without alot of force - then they do tend to leak.

Basically it needs replacing and if meant for mains pressure, then no altering the water flow wouldn't make it leak.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Open the valve fully to see if it cures the low flow problem.

Before you change the valve, see if there is a nut where the spindle enters the valve body. If it does, it most likely has what is called a stuffing gland. Tightening the nut squeezes sealant around the spindle tighter to prevent water seeping out. If the valve shows signs of corrosion, the sealant may be damaged and the nut may not tighten, but it is worth a try.

Incidentally, some leaks like this sometimes cure themselves without intervention.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 am