single oven
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robthejoiner
Labourer
Labourer

single oven

by robthejoiner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi all
this is my 2nd post and received great advise for my 1st post.
my single oven is wired straight into a terminal outlet via a cooker switch with 6mm cable and protected by a 32amp mcb at fuse board, is this to high for just a single oven with max output 3000watts and if so what should it be and am i allowed to change the mcb myself or call a electrician to do it. i know i might be worrying about nothing but i would just like to know for sure thanks in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:41 pm

It is all dependent on what the manufacturer recommends. So equipment will be protected internally and some will need external protection. With portable equipment the guide lines are if it needs protection it should be in the equipment but with installed equipment the manufacture can set out a requirement for external protection.

As to changing a MCB yourself with the consumer unit in my house where you could just pull the MCB out and replace it with a smaller one without using any tools it would be very hard to justify insisting on an electrician. But with some boards it is quite an involved job to change a MCB. Not sure what Part P says but I would not be happy advising anyone to change it themselves.

As an example I went to Indesit web site to see what they said and all single oven it recommends the use of a 13A Plug so they are protected by a 13A fuse. However looking at a double oven it states a single 45A supply may be used to supply oven and hob it also states EICNIC contractor should fit it.

I am not saying I agree with manufactures recommendations but the wiring regulations says we should follow them so official line must to follow instructions.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:08 pm