Single Skin Block Wall for Workshop
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dwarfer
Labourer
Labourer

Single Skin Block Wall for Workshop

by Dwarfer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 am

Hi guys, I am building a workshop in my garden and have built three walls from concrete garage sections but unfortunately some of the panels were damaged leaving me short a few pieces for the front wall including one corner piece. I have a upvc door and window for the front wall and am now intending to use 140mm aerated blocks for the front wall as the weight will be fairly close to the concrete sections the base was poured for but I’m having trouble finding a supplier for the 140mm blocks. I can get 100mm blocks without a problem just not the 140mm.

This is the plan I have for laying the blocks.

Will this be strong enough with 100mm blocks or with 140mm blocks for that matter?

To the right of the door is a concrete corner piece which the door will be screwed to, the block wall will be tied to the concrete panel on the left with 8mm threaded rod bent 90deg bedded into the mortar at every second course and bolted threw the panel. There will also be a wooden batten along the top of all the walls screwed onto the panels.

Cheers guys
Ian

Dwarfer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Single Skin Block Wall for Workshop

by Dwarfer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi guys, can anyone help me with this please.

I guess what I'm asking is will this wall be stable if built with 100mm or 140mm blocks or will I need piers to support it. Don't wort about the strenth of the aerated blocks, would it be ok with standard concrete blocks?

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Single Skin Block Wall for Workshop

by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:19 pm

No its not strong enough, if you lay 100mm concrete block flat it will give you a 215mm pier by the door, that will support the wall

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm