DIY Doctor

Sinking a soil spike for a rotary washing line

Postby gobrun » Sun May 10, 2020 10:30 am

Hello,

I’m attempting to insert a soil spike in our lawn - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002E ... asin_title

It’s currently about half way in after about 30mins hitting it with a 10lb sledgehammer.

I’ve hit some harder material underneath the surface soil, and as you can see the design of the spike isn’t particularly ‘spikey’.

The issue I’m having is that I’ve gone through multiple pieces of wood which I’ve been using as a buffer between the sledgehammer and the top of the soil spike. Hitting the top of the spike would immediately warp the metal so the buffer is necessary. The wood I’ve been using as a buffer keeps splitting and I’m running out of ideas as to what I can use. I’m thinking the best thing would probably be some thick hard plastic, or some particularly hard hardwood but I’m unsure.

Could anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks
gobrun
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi gobrun
If you have checked you are not trying to get through anything important e.g. clay soil pipe the get a long masonry drill and form a pilot hole.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby stoneyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi gobrun
If you have checked you are not trying to get through anything important e.g. clay soil pipe the get a long masonry drill and form a pilot hole.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!